21 November 2011

Transitive Verb

A transitive verb is a verb that requires both a direct subject and one or more objects. Transitive verb is divided to several types, they are

Monotransitive
Transitive verb that needs two arguments for one subject and one object. This type is common used as example. Example:
  • I smell someone
  • Smith take a minigun
Ditransitive
Transitive verb that needs three arguments for one subject and two objects. Example:
  • My father give me twenty dollars
  • You killed John with knife
Tritransitive
Transitive verb that needs four arguments for one subject and three objects. Example:
  • I tell him to trade that car with a computer
  • Smith ordered Jane to beat that whale with a toothpick
Ambitransitive
Transitive verb that can act as transitive or intransitive. Example:
  • Ice melted. I melted the ice.
  • The boat broke. I broke the boat.
Complex Transitive
Transitive verb that has one or more arguments which connected to another argument. Example:
  • I shot him in the head (the head is his property)
  • Jane was bitten by a whale in the nail (the nail is Jane's)
Source [wikipedia]

No comments:

Post a Comment