Type I
Protasis: Simple present
Apodosis: Will-future
Function: This type is used when the condition very likely will be fulfilled. An action in future can only be happened if a certain condition is fulfilled by that time, and that certain condition has chance to be fulfilled (not impossible because we don't know about future). Example:
If I have a Plasma Rifle, I'll shoot him.
Type II
Protasis: Simple past
Apodosis: Would-infinitive
Function: This type is used when the condition very unlikely will be fulfilled. An action could happen if only the present situation were different. The action is some kind of dream, imagining what would happen if my condition were fulfilled. However, there's chance that it becomes possible in near future, even small. Note that on this type 'were' verb is used instead 'was' verb even for 'I', 'he', 'she' or 'it'. Example:
If I were equipped with Rocket Launcher, that Banshee would be down.
Type III
Protasis: Past perfect
Apodosis: would + have + Past Participle
Function: This type is used when the condition is impossible to be fulfilled. An action could have happened if only the past condition had been fulfilled. In the fact, the situation were different and impossible to change even in future. Example:
He would have killed that Jackal if my Wraith hadn't had exploded back there.
Examples:
- I would have blowed that Wraith if my Rocket hadn't missed (Fact: the rocket missed)
- If I get a sniper, I'll throw it (Fact: don't know if I'll get sniper or not)
- If Elite didn't have shield, I could kill them with one hand (Fact: Elite had shield so I couldn't do it in one hand)
- If you own a car, I'll break it (Fact: don't know if they'll own a car or not)
- If he buy cake, I'll glad to eat it (Fact: he haven't bought the cake yet)
- I would have got it if you just hadn't passed in front of me (Fact: I hadn't got it)
- If she couldn't do it, she would pay one million Euro (Fact: she did it)
- I would buy it if the price was under one hundred (Fact: the price was one hundred or more)
- If you hadn't been drinking, the building wouldn't have exploded (Fact: it had exploded and you had been drinking that time)
- Grunt could be played if the producer had more humour sense (Fact: Grunt couldn't be played and the producer didn't have humour sense)
Wish sentences is a sentence that has the wish verb on it. The wish verb shows a desire to change current real situation into unreal one. Unreal situation doesn't exist on present and the subject (the one who wish) seems unhappy to it. The unreal situation is written in simple past. Example:
- I wish I found a coin (In fact, I didn't find any coin)
- I wish you had a plane so I can borrow it (In fact, they didn't have plane so I can't borrow from them)
- I wish I hadn't said it (In fact, I said it)
- I wish she jumped from here (In fact, she didn't jump)
- I wish I were rich (In fact, I was poor)
- I wish they could come (In fact, they couldn't come)
- I wish it were a soup (In fact, it's not soup)
- I want to have a watch so I wish this box contained it (In fact, inside the box wasn't a watch)
- I wish this homework could be done (In fact, it never done)
- I wish that I didn't wish (In fact, I did wish)
Source [ego4u] [netgrammar]
No comments:
Post a Comment