15 November 2011

Modifier in Sentence

Modifiers describe a word or make its meaning more specific. Modifiers can be shown below
  • Get on my tank and load its missiles to full, we'll blow a lot of cars!
In English, adverbs and adjectives prototypically function as modifiers, but they also have other functions. Adjectives modify nouns and pronouns; whereas, adverbs modify verbs, adjectives and other adverbs.

Example for adverbs as modifier
  • Smith kills him slowly
  • I punch him gently
  • She makes it very clearl
  • Put it down roughly on table
  • They throw a lot of foods
Example for adjectives as modifier
  • It was a nice car
  • Big gun doesn't make it better
  • I sense dark aura here
  • I never see a blue apple
  • She is not a bad girl
There are two kinds of modifiers, premodifier and postmodifier. A premodifier is a modifier placed before the head (the modified component). A postmodifier is a modifier placed after the head, for example
  • shotgun shells (premodifier)
  • katanas in meiji-era (postmodifier)

No comments:

Post a Comment